Monday, December 16, 2013

The Old Man & The Journal

You've turned your life into poetry because you're unhappy. You miss an old sentimental beat and you wonder why there is no ease, an old man once said to me, I told him; writers don't lie, they simply twist a truth, that no longer serves them in the way they hoped it'll always do. And what is your truth? he asked of me, I shook my head when I realised I had no answer to give.

Like a memory that fades away, that is how I feel of existence today, maybe tomorrow will be a different day, but for now, there is no escaping this heartache. I met an old man in the park today, I was sitting near him on a bench opposite a small river, both feeding the pigeons in; he resembled my father in his appearances; or so I thought at first, to much later, I realised it was only my selfish need to have him to keep, because my own wasn't anywhere in sight when it came to a need I had.

I was carrying a black journal that I had placed by my side, he must have noticed it to which he asked; "Are you a writer of some kind?" "A sentimental diary of my past events and overall life" I replied, "Do you mind reading me a few? Is that alright?" I hesitated at first, then nodded my head, and opened the journal to reveal whats inside:

" 'I am floating, floating in unconsciousness; I don't know why, happiness is so close I can grasp it with my own desperate hands, but twice before it had lied... Twice before, my dear God! I am tired of this restless clinging to all the hopelessness I can't seem to find the courage to fight. A million souls trapped inside, where is my personality hiding at?' "

I raised my head to look at him, he was looking at the ground; I was concerned, was I revealing too much of my state of mind? "Please continue my dear child" he spoke with a pleasant tone that made me relax, I skipped a few pages and opened a random one to start, reading in a brittle rhyme:

" 'I miss my old friend, he passed away last night, took his own life without leaving a note behind. How bizarre of me to be stating facts; like I'm reading the news to just another suicide. Do I even remember him, or the way he used to laugh? I can't even remember what he looks like. People come and go; they're all passing by, One day I'll disappear without a trace to find.' "

The old man was looking at me this time, his lips formed a hard line, to which calmed when he said: "Would you mind reading for me a last time? A recent one, if you don't mind" I skipped a number of pages, and the air skipped a few, a random page appeared and I proceeded to read it through:

" 'I love the man in my dreams, the one in my head that won't ever leave. I love the man in my mind, the one who says the kindest words and makes no demands. I love the man in my heart, I'm in love with the darkness he provides.' "

The old man was smiling this time, and I was smiling too, I closed the journal and then he said:"Your vision finally came true, you can now see me the way I see you" I understood him without having to say another word, for my mind finally believed the lie my heart formed. I've turned my life into poetry and I've grown old to those; stories of love lost and the man I adored the most, he passed away without leaving me a note, but I found my solitude in these poems I wrote.

I am the old man and the journal I wrote is the last remaining piece of a life I no longer know.

No comments:

Post a Comment